About the Host Organisation
This is a non-profit organisation that has been set up with the aim of ensuring rights and education for children through educational play and toys. Their numerous initiatives such as development of community play groups, developing educational, engaging and fun curriculum and carrying out toy collections aim specifically to meet the following goals:
- To ensure that children from under privileged backgrounds receive toys through collection and distributions.
- To bridge the gap between children from different backgrounds by creative play/group events/community events.
- To make play space available for children through– Toy libraries and reclaiming open public spaces for children.
- To impart education and values through a Toy curriculum; play groups; children’s parliament.
- To design and provide toys that are relevant and context specific to the children, their language and lifestyles.
- To sensitize and advocate amongst individuals from all sections of society the need and importance of the right to play and the right to leisure for all children.
The organisation currently reaches 35,000 children through 248 play centres and has been extensively covered by the Indian and foreign media. The ten-member team offers an energetic vibe reminiscent of a start-up.
About the Internship
The organisation currently runs several play groups for children within communities across Mumbai. As the research intern, inter alia you will be required to be actively engaged in these play sessions, help the team organise and run them as well as take charge of collecting data and analysing the effectiveness of the play groups and the impact they make. Based on your research, you will be required to provide recommendations to the team on how the organisation’s activities can sustain and/or increase their impact.
What We Are Looking For
For this internship, we are looking for a penultimate or final year student or a graduate who must meet the following requirements:
- Passionate about the non-profit sector
- Comfortable dealing with children
- Confident working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Enthusiasm, energy and passion for learning
- Good research skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently under pressure
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Willingness to ‘muck in’ and support the team in activities outside of your job description
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Additionally, the following is desirable though not essential:
- Previous experience in research
- Previous experience of the non-profit sector
- Previous experience working with children
What You Will Gain
During your internship here, you will get a great insight into many facets of working in a leading non-profit organisation and the developing world. In addition to being positively challenged in an eastern work culture environment, you will gain valuable, hands-on work experience, an in depth understanding of child rights and an enriched world-view. You will work with and learn from experienced, passionate, inspirational people from a diverse set of backgrounds that will help develop your research skills. Above all you will be a part of an experienced, motivated team who will inspire you and ensure you have a valuable experience.
Your Internship Location
Mumbai is a thriving Indian metropolis, and one of the largest cities in the world. You’ll find people from across India and the world living traditionally Indian lifestyles and incredibly western ones too! Mumbai is a mix of old and new and shows a beautiful glimpse into life in India.
Interning with Pave allows you to participate in one of the fastest growing and most dynamic economies in the world, India! India is the second most populous country, the world’s largest democracy and a rapidly emerging economy primed for even further growth. Immense opportunity for professional development awaits you as companies seek to expand into new markets, strengthen their communications strategies and scale their businesses.