About the Host Organisation
In Dharavi, one of Asia’s largest slums, residents often lack access to job opportunities and quality education. Whilst Dharavi’s industrial sector exports over $500million of goods a year and Dharavi plays a vital role in the day to day functioning of Mumbai, negative perceptions toward the area persist.
This NGO aims to provide equal access to opportunities and resources for the residents of the Dharavi community by running and supporting local development projects and by connecting communities to socially minded individuals and organisations. In particular the organisation provides children and young adults with quality English, computer and sport programs, to aid their development and help them realise their true potential.
Founded in 2009, the NGO is made up of around 10 staff and a number of volunteers. They extend beyond this through strong partnerships with other organisations in the area. Whilst small in size, their ideas and passions are big. Staff are empowered to think for themselves, encouraged to implement change and given a large amount of trust and autonomy. Every day new opportunities and challenges arise making for a dynamic, exciting office culture.
About the Internship
The organisation is continually evolving, seeking to grow and improve their activities in the communities where they work. This creates a great opportunity for interns to make a real, sustainable difference. The role of Marketing Intern would include (though not be limited to):
- Updating and creating content for our website
- Engaging in social media and email marketing (including Facebook/Twitter) and increase general presence on the internet
- Fundraising through building relations with Corporates in Mumbai, executing online campaigns and events
- Managing and building major donor relations
- Developing ‘best practice toolkits’ to help in the training of field staff and volunteers
- Conducting market research
- General administrative tasks/organisational support
What We Are Looking For
For this internship, we are looking for penultimate or final year students or graduates who must meet the following requirements:
- Experience in marketing and/or fundraising (be it theoretical or practical)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Willingness to ‘muck in’ and support the team in activities outside of your job description
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and proactive worker
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- An interest in international development issues
Additionally, the following is desirable though not essential:
- Proficiency in html and InDesign/Photoshop
- Previous experience of travelling and/or working/volunteering in India
What You Will Gain
During your internship here, you will get a great insight into many facets of working in an NGO. In addition to being positively challenged in an eastern work culture environment, you will gain valuable, hands-on work experience and have the opportunity to better understand if this is a career you wish to pursue in your future. You will work with and learn from experienced, passionate, inspirational people from a diverse set of backgrounds. Above all you will be a part of an experienced, motivated team who are more than happy to support you in all aspects of your time living and interning in Mumbai.
Your Internship Location
Mumbai is a thriving Indian metropolis, and one of the largest cities in the world. You’ll find people from across India and the world living traditionally Indian lifestyles and incredibly western ones too! Mumbai is a mix of old and new and shows a beautiful glimpse into life in India.
Interning with Pave allows you to participate in one of the fastest growing and most dynamic economies in the world, India! India is the second most populous country, the world’s largest democracy and a rapidly emerging economy primed for even further growth. Immense opportunity for professional development awaits you as companies seek to expand into new markets, strengthen their communications strategies and scale their businesses.